Janome sewing machines are among the most famous worldwide due to their innovative design, customer-friendly features, and cutting-edge technology.
They are also known because of their durability and for being of top quality.
Thus, they are among the most desirable sewing machines for home or industrial use.
You will have an enjoyable working experience with it and produce top-caliber products and fabric material from it.
But not all Janome sewing machines are the same: they suit the particular needs and skills of the user, as well as other variables. Determining the best Janome sewing machine can be pretty tricky.
About Janome Sewing Machines
The Janome company was born out of innovation: the name originates from a round metal bobbin, an improvement from the traditional long shuttle.
The round metal bobbin resembles that of a snake’s eye, the word for which is Janome.
That was a century ago, but since then, Janome has never stopped manufacturing quality sewing machines for everyone.
In 1979, they released the first programmable, computerized sewing machine, the Memory 7, from which other Memory Craft computer models emerged.
And since then, they have never looked back.
A pioneering innovator in sewing technology, Janome is now a household name, no wonder people looked up yearly for their best sewing machines.
So for this year, here is the rundown of the top Janome sewing machines.
Best Janome Sewing Machines: Our Top Picks
1. Janome 3160QDC: The Best For Training, Price: $699
If you are taking lessons for sewing and quilting, and you want a sewing machine that is convenient to bring, having Janome 3160QDC is the best.
It is light but compact and can bring out the best skill of any user, sewer, or quilter.
This machine packs so much versatility and can adjust to the user’s skill, so even those who are experts will have fun using it. But this is more enjoyable for those attending classes and seminars, mainly due to its user-friendly features that allow for easy operability.
- Perfect for travel, seminars, workshops, and training
- Easy to control and operate
- It can work on all sorts of fabrics, even thick fabric.
- An all-utility sewing machine can be helpful to those who want to do the quilting.
- The package includes an extendable table.
- The product contains a hardcover.
- The maximum stitch length is only 5mm
- The package does not include a knee lifter.
Verdict: For its purpose, Janome 3160QDC is more than ideal. It does not promise much except that the campers and those in sewing groups will have fun and a good time using this sewing machine.
And people will quickly learn and apply their sewing and even quilting skills in no time.
2. Janome Mod 19: Best for Beginners, Price: $219
Janome Mod 19 may be the ultimate beginner’s sewing machine, bar none. It is elementary, easily operable, solid, sturdy, and durable.
Consider this: It features 19 stitches, has an automatic needle threader, an excellent bobbin design, and five-piece feed dogs.
It makes for easy, smooth, seamless sewing, made even easier by its simple settings.
- User friendly
- The features are excellent for beginners
- The settings are simple
- The sewing machine is compact, lightweight, portable
- It features a built-in lamp and drop-in bobbin
- A silent operator
- Very affordable
- Outstanding warranty (25 years)
- Not suitable for thick fabric
- Presser foot made of plastic
- Some find it pretty challenging to change feet.
Verdict: This one could be the ultimate sewing machine for beginners, but as we mentioned, only for beginners. Those who are well adept at sewing might find its features severely limited.
3. Janome 4120QDC: Best Sewing Machine For Mid-level Users, Price: $799
Janome 4120QDC is the best sewing machine for those transitioning from entry-level sewing machines to higher ones.
Its excellent features and advanced technology is ideal for those whose talent exceeds that of beginners and entry-level users.
Janome 4120QDC has 120 stitches, with options ranging from basic to more complex ones like decorative and zigzag stitch.
It has 820 stitches per minute, making it ideal for intermediate users who are just beginning to handle large projects.
It has an automatic needle threader, a top-loading bobbin, and has LCD that is easy to operate. Overall, the advanced technology maintains the user-friendly features of this sewing machine.
Those graduating from entry-level sewing machines, and those using this machine for the first time, will feel at home.
- Excellent technology
- User-friendly features
- The 120 stitches appeal to many.
- Very durable, sturdy, and solid
- Having a pre-installed design is an option.
- Capable of handling thicker fabrics
- It comes with multiple presser feet
- It has a thread cutter
- The sewing machine comes with a lot of accessories
- It comes with an instructional DVD
- It is a pretty noisy sewing machine
Verdict: Though it may be noisy, users cannot complain about this Janome computerized sewing machine.
It may not be the ultimate sewing machine, but its superior advanced technology and user-friendly features can give any sewing machine a run for its money.
4. Janome MC6650: Best Quilting Machine, Price: $1,599
This one is probably one of the best sewing machines for quilting. With a large throat, independent bobbin winder, automatic thread cutter, and all those excellent technology features, this one is a “machine” in the real sense.
We mean here that it is fast and efficient. It can do 1,000 stitches per minute, has 120 decorative stitches, and other features to enhance and improve on whatever quilting or sewing projects you have.
- Easy, seamless threading
- Easy to operate
- It has a lot of user-friendly features, buttons, and LCD, for instance
- It has a speed control slider
- It features a large throat for a large sewing project
- Bigger bobbins so you can load more threads, less loading of bobbins
- An efficient, time-saving sewing machine
- Ideal for free motion quilting
- Pretty heavy
- Knee lifter not included
- It does not have a presser foot
- No bobbin warning, so you need to check if the bobbin is empty
- Pretty expensive
Verdict: It comes at a price, but this Janome machine has many positives; there will be sewers and quilters who will always want to have this one.
This Sewing machine perfectly suits advanced users, especially the quilters, so the issues we mention may not matter, for advanced users can deal adequately with them.
5. Janome S5 Sewing Machine: Best For Experts, Price: $1, 499
If you want the most advanced but easy-to-use sewing machine from Janome, having Janome S5 is worth all the trouble.
This one is the ultimate sewing machine for experts, from cutting-edge technology to features such as an automatic thread cutter and memorized needle up/down.
It has many buttons, all designed for your convenience; it provides you with many options, like the 91 needle positions.
With 170 stitches, you can have any type you want, all to improve whatever sewing project you have in hand.
- Excellent technology
- So many options
- It has many advanced features: a superb stitch width system, feeding system, buttonhole stitch options, etc.
- It includes a knee lifter
- Ideal too for quilting and home décor sewing projects
- It can be of great use for experts and novices.
- At nearly $1500, it is pretty expensive
Verdict: With so many options, users of Janome S5 will have their hands full, though it is hard to match all the user-friendly features that it has, even among the Janome family of sewing machines.
The price may be pretty prohibitive, but considering everything you can get from this computerized sewing machine, it might be worth it.
6. Janome Mod 30: The Most User-Friendly, Price: $249
If you are looking for the most comfortable, convenient, computerized sewing machine in town, Janome Mod 30 might be the one that fits the bill.
It has a one-hand needle threader, a top-loading bobbin, and seven-piece feed dogs convenient for novice and intermediate users.
But the most excellent feature is the LCD, where you have easy-to-use navigation keys that make operating this Janome sewing machine more like a child’s play.
But don’t let that fool you, for this machine is sturdy, long-lasting, and durable and can produce high-quality stitches that are the standard fixture of elite sewing machines.
- Easy to operate
- Excellent LCD features, navigation keys are easy to use.
- Pretty big working area
- Highly affordable
- Pretty noisy
- The simple features may not appeal to advanced users and experts
- Limited options compared to other Janome sewing machines.
Verdict: The reason anyone would choose Janome Mod 30 is comfort; that is the primary consideration. The price is also highly affordable, making Janome Mod 30 one of their better sewing machines.
But this is not really for the advanced users and experts. They would do well having other Janome sewing machines instead.
Before choosing any of the Janome sewing machines, there are some things you must keep in mind.
Is the sewing machine for the expert or the novice?
As we see, there are sewing machines appropriate for one’s skillset and talent, and the user will most likely determine what type of sewing machine he needs.
Will the machine be for making products to sell, is it for hobbies, or is it to learn more about sewing, ultimately transitioning to an advanced machine later on?
The use, and the questions we raise, already implicate the type of user and determine in large part what sewing machine is appropriate.
But there are heavy-duty sewing machines and portable ones that you can bring to bid or pass your time while you are on vacation.
Choosing a sewing machine also depends on the sewing project you have in mind; some are more adept at quilting, for instance.
You must balance quality, performance, and money when working on a budget. If you can do without having some features so as not to sacrifice money and quality, then you can do it.
If you cannot, and you need all the features and must have the heavy-duty one, then you need to invest in that particular sewing machine.
But ultimately, whoever the user is, for whatever purpose and the budget, there is the probability that one Janome sewing machine will suit you.
They have so many sewing machines that you can almost have the needed balance between quality, performance, and budget; you will never lack options.
The best thing is that whatever you choose, you can be sure of its high quality and performance.
The only thing you need to work on is your talent or skill and the budget, so you can ultimately become a Janome sewist.
Once you have worked on it, you can have anything you need. You can choose from Janome’s computerized sewing machines or still have that classic old Janome mechanical sewing machine.