Brother sewing machines are popular because they combine advanced, excellent, cutting-edge technology with user-friendly features.
Whether a regular sewing machine, an embroidery machine, or a serger machine, all exhibit those fascinating features for which Brother is known.
Brother adheres to the mantra that they need to simplify their products for better use while making them efficient.
They produce top-quality office and industrial equipment, but they have become a household name due to their sewing machines; they even have one featured in a popular tv show.
Brother sewing machines, in general, are ideal for beginners due to their user-friendly features, but some are better than others.
So we can ask, what is the best Brother sewing machine for beginners?
Best Brother Machine for Beginners: Our Top Picks
If you are looking for the ultimate beginner’s sewing machine, in terms of weight, simplicity, and price, this one may top any other Brother machine.
It could give any other beginner’s sewing machine an excellent challenge for supremacy because it is very light and has user-friendly features.
The few features may add an appeal, for the simple functions make it ideal for beginners who want to learn the basics of sewing.
It is a mechanical sewing machine with no need for touchscreen or computerized features; the beginner can take on sewing immediately and need not bother about mastering advanced technology.
It has 27 built-in stitches with one automatic buttonhole; it has some accessories, the most important being the six presser feet, ideal for dealing with some fabric.
It can run up to 800 stitches per minute, which is relatively fast for a beginner, but manageable.
It has few features, but everything is excellent, from the bobbin winding system to needle threading; it makes things easier for the sewists, especially beginners.
Best of all, it can handle various sewing projects and can do quilting, dressmaking, some repairs, and a little of just about everything.
- It is easy to use and operate.
- The few simple features are ideal for beginners.
- It has some excellent features, like an automatic needle threader.
- It can make stitch length adjustments easily.
- It has six sewing feet.
- It has an ideal speed for sewing stitches for beginners.
- It is very affordable.
- It is not as durable as other Brother sewing machines.
- It has limited features.
Verdict: It has limited features, but surprisingly, it can do a lot of functions, which is vital for any sewing machine.
The good thing is that you can have all that it offers at reasonable and fair prices.
At a meager price of above a hundred dollars, this sewing machine is not only perfect for those mentioned.
It could also be ideal as a gift to your kids or anyone who enjoys or want to learn sewing.
Brother CS7000x: Best Computerized
This one is a favorite of Brother sewing machine enthusiasts, and rightly so, for it has all the user-friendly features associated with most Brother machines.
The exception is that this one is even easier to handle; it performs better, is lighter, and can deal with far more material.
All the positives from the previous edition, like the ten presser feet, the advanced technology like LCD, and the options for stitch patterns, are still there.
And with the same features, it is not expensive, almost the same price as the two. It still has that large throat and extended table that can allow any sewist to deal with large sewing projects.
- It is effortless to use and operate.
- It has a large throat and extended table, perfect for quilting.
- It has many accessories, like ten presser feet.
- It is very light at 10.5 lbs and is portable.
- It is very durable.
- It has slower stitches per minute speed compared to Brother CS6000i and BrotherCS7000i.
Verdict: This Brother computerized sewing machine has the hallmarks of other Brother sewing machines, but it is better for beginners.
All the excellent features, advanced technology, and a larger working area allow the beginner to optimize all its outstanding features.
For what it offers, it has a reasonable price, at just above two hundred dollars. No wonder most experts suggest this computerized machine for beginners.
Brother HC1850: Best for Training
At first, this machine seems like any other Brother machine. But this one keeps you going, and you will make significant progress in your journey as a sewist by using this sewing machine.
It has 185 built-in stitches, and 135 sewing stitches, with eight buttonhole styles.
It has a lot of accessories, including eight presser feet and an extended table, and has automatic features that make for easy operability.
The features and options allow the user to slowly transition from an upstart to a sewist of considerable skill who can handle various materials and make capable choices for stitches.
It is capable of a maximum of 850 stitches per minute, but with this machine, the user has the speed control option to choose the pace he likes.
- You can make it run without a foot pedal through the start/stop button.
- Its drop-feed dogs feature allows for excellent quilting and free-motion sewing.
- It comes with an extension table, ideal for large sewing projects.
- You have fonts for monogramming.
- It is fast at 850 stitches per minute, but speed control is available.
- It comes with a lot of accessories.
- Excellent sewing machine-price ratio.
- There are problems with lighting and bobbin loading.
Verdict: It gives the beginner basic options for stitches, and some of its features allow the upstart to do some basic quilting and engage in other activities, such as free-motion sewing.
Brother HC1850 enables the novice to harness his skills and acquire some in his journey in sewing.
Though quite a nuisance, the drawbacks are relatively minor and do not impact the machine’s performance or the sewist’s capability to sew.
It is an excellent machine for progressively training the beginner at a price of more than two hundred dollars.
Brother XR3774: Best for Quilting
Most of the machines here can qualify as quilting machines, they all have the features, but some are better than others. And this might be the case with this Brother machine.
The features are decent: 37 built-in stitches, an automatic needle threader, an excellent drop-in bobbin, and some accessories like eight presser feet and a dust cover.
It has a sewing speed of 800 stitches per minute. Overall, those specs are not imposing, but they are not negligible either.
But what makes it different from others is a large throat and an extended table that is not only long but also wide.
Others have it, but the design of this one is far more conducive to quilting and free-motion sewing.
A beginner who wants to specialize in those things might as well have a machine suited for that purpose.
- Its automatic features are excellent; they save time and are easy to use, all of which are essential for beginners.
- It makes sewing effortless, easy to sew, to feed material, easy to sew buttonholes, excellent foot pedal, easy to set up, etc.
- It has features essential for quilting, and beginners who want to take on it would do well with this machine.
- It is a heavy-duty Brother sewing machine that can perform excellently and has excellent speed.
- It is easy to maintain; it is low maintenance.
- For a quilting machine, it is considerably light.
- It has excellent LED lighting.
- It is very much affordable.
- It has no thread cutter.
- It does not have an LCD.
- It has limited stitch options.
Verdict: The limited features and the absence of an automatic thread cutter may turn off some, but for beginners, those are downsides you can live with.
The main attraction of Brother XR3774 is you have a good sewing machine that is ideal for quilting and free-motion sewing.
If we measure this Brother machine against its task, it passes with flying colors. For beginners looking for more options or looking for advanced technology features, this may not suit them.
But for beginners who may want to specialize in quilting and free-motion sewing, later on, this might be the machine best suited for them.
The limited features allow them too to concentrate on developing that skill.
Brother SE600: Best Sewing and Embroidery Machine
If you want to take sewing and embroidery simultaneously, you better start with Brother SE600, probably the best starter sewing and embroidery machine.
It has enough features to learn sewing and embroidery quickly and provides you with enough options for stitches and embroidery design.
Compared to other sewing machines, this one is a tad slower at 710 stitches per minute, while it has 400 stitches per minute embroidery speed.
It has the usual accessories; the best might be the free arm, which allows you to do some quilting.
But this machine is truly remarkable because it can give you so much fun and excitement, which is essential for those learning to sew and do embroidery.
It has interchangeable panels and integrated embroidery designs that feature popular culture icons and staples, like Marvel and Star Wars.
- It is easy to use and operate.
- Its features facilitate quick learning of sewing and embroidery.
- It has enough speed for both sewing and embroidery.
- There are fewer options concerning embroidery designs, but the user will surely love those Marvel and Star Wars characters.
- It has features that allow you to customize decorative stitches.
- It has nice accessories; the free arm might be the best.
- It has quilting capabilities.
- For everything that it offers, it has a fair and reasonable price.
- Some consider the 4×4 inches embroidery area to be pretty small.
Verdict: The only issue with Brother SE600 is that the beginner may enjoy embroidery so much and have fun with it that he might feel dissatisfied with the small embroidery area.
The price could be pretty tricky, for other combo machines offer far more features at lower prices.
But you have to consider that with Brother machine, excellence, performance, and quality will never be an issue.
The best Brother sewing machine for beginners is the one that can facilitate learning and will make novices love the activity.
That sewing machine must have excellent performance, good quality, and some features and accessories at a reasonable and fair price.
The sewing machine may differ depending on the overall sewing skills of the beginner and the sewing style he wants to learn profoundly or specialize in.
But whatever skill or sewing style you want to know, Brother will indeed have the sewing machine for you.